Enzymes required for DNA replication
1. DNA Polymerase – Elongates a new DNA strand at a replication fork. Adds nucleotides one by one to the new and growing DNA strand.
2. DNA ligase – Joins sugar-phosphates of Okazaki fragments. Okazaki fragments are found on the lagging strand.
3. Primase – Starts an RNA chain from scratch that will eventually be replaced by DNA nucleotides (remember nucleotides come from DNA polymerase).
4. Helicase – Untwists the double helix at replication forks to make two parental strands available as template strands.
5. Topoisomerase – Relieves strain of ahead of the replication fork due to untwisting of the double helix.