- Inability to produce children is known as infertility.
- Reasons for infertility may be:
- Diseases and drugs
Assisted Reproductive Technologies (ART)Assisted Reproductive Technologies (ART) make it possible for childless couples to bear children. These are of the following types:
1. In vitro fertilization (IVF)/Test Tube Baby – Here gametic fusion is carried outside the body in sterile conditions. After the embryo is developed, Embryo Transfer (ET) is done.
2. Zygotic Intra Fallopian Transfer (ZIFT) – Zygote or embryo with =< 8 blastomeres is directly transferred into the fallopian tube or uterus.
3. Gametic Intra Fallopian Transfer (GIFT) – It involves the transfer of gametes from a donor female into the body of a female who can house it but cannot produce an egg.
4. Intra Cytoplasmic Sperm Injection (ICSI) – Direct injection of sperm into the ovum.
5. Artificial Insemination (AI) – Sperm from a donor is inserted into the vagina or uterus of a female.