Medical Termination of Pregnancy (MTP)
- It refers to voluntary termination of unwanted pregnancy.
- It may be done in cases where the pregnancy poses risk to the mother or child.
- It was legalized in 1971.
- Rules and regulations are strict to prevent female foeticide.
- MTP is considered safe in the 1st trimester i.e. upto 12 weeks.
- MTP act of 1971 was amended in 2020.
- The amendment included that pregnancy can be terminated upto 20 weeks. If the period exceeds 20 weeks, upto 24 weeks it could be terminated only if medical practitioners believe that: a) The pregnancy would bear risk to the health of the woman. b) The unborn child is at a risk of serious physical/mental abnormality.